Donate

Monday, April 7, 2008

something worth living for...

I have recently been aware of the lack of world consciousness that I have. To solve this problem, I have added cnn.com and enidnews.com to my daily internet ‘surfing’ (to get the news that is important to me!). I am amazed daily at what makes the ‘top’ news on an international website, and I am also disturbed at what I find in my hometown newspaper. I am taken back by the news that I found Saturday morning. I was faced with two deaths: one, a fallen Soldier, and another, a life in prison. Although the second isn’t death in the sense of the physical word, more in the sense of the loss of freedom and choice that was brought about by the killing of someone. Both of these men were acquaintances of mine. As I sat and read about the family that was left behind from our hometown hero, I felt a wave of emotions that brought tears to my eyes. He had lived a life that was honorable and he gave his life to something that he believed in. I will forever be grateful to the sacrifice that he gave to all of us. He is the reason that someone can carry a gun. He is the reason that we can drive to a gas station without worry of attack. He fought for the freedom that the other guy willingly gave up when he pulled the trigger and took another mans life. I don’t know the reasons behind the killing, but I do know that if you believe in something strongly enough, you will go to great measures to fulfill that.

I am not questioning that either of these men believed that what they were doing was right. To go to the measures that each of them went to will show that they believed in what they were doing. What I am doing is using this as evidence that what you believe in can consume you, either for good or for bad.

There will be families that will forever be affected by the decisions that both of these young men made. I hope that we can all learn from both of these situations. To be passionate and to live with vigor is what we are meant to do. My wish for you is that you will find something worthwhile to give your life to, because ultimately, it is what will be said about your life in the end.


Playlist:
Reasons Why by Nickel Creek
This Land is Mine by Dido
Amazing Grace by Ani DiFranco
Track 12 by Amos Lee
Blue Eyes by Cary Brothers
Birthday by The Beatles
What it Takes by Aerosmith

No comments: