Donate

Thursday, August 2, 2012

August. 2. 2012.

Holy Cow.

I am amazed that not only is it August, but it is also 2012. I am now closer to 30 than I am to 29.

I am almost three weeks into what could be my last year in Guatemala. I look around my room and see an incredible shelf of books, my awesome dog, paintings on the walls, and a well stocked 'emergency cabinet' (mom and dad always taught me to have extra TP, toothpaste, and hot sauce. Just in case.) Everything you need to claim a well established life in a place.

The longer I have been here, the more comfortable I have become. I live well here. I have wonderful friends, a great job, and the security of knowing a place well. But I still feel like something is missing. I have no idea if relocating will fill that gap or if it will be something that I will have to eventually just come to the realization that it may be that way forever.

The more you travel, the more frequently you fall in love (with a place). The more you fall in love with a place, the more you miss it and those that make that place what it is.

But life must go on. I cannot make decisions based on what will hurt the least (as I have done in the past). There are things that must be faced and must be communicated with honesty, regardless of what the outcome may be.

Going back and reading this, I sound a bit out of it. I'm not. I have just been spending time processing things lately. However, right now, I have a soccer game that I need to go watch! I have a few good friends that are waiting for me with a cold cerveza!

Cheers!

Playlist
Snow - Red Hot Chili Peppers
Violet Hill - Coldplay
Both Sides Now - Joni Mitchell

3 comments:

Lorrie Macy said...

Moving on (especially from a place as magical as Guatemala) is not easy. If this truly is your last go-round, I'm sure you will find a new home and a new adventure--you always have.

For now though, cherish everything--the stressful school day, the drenching rain drops, and even the disruptively loud band practices, because before you know it, they will all be lumped into one memory of that place you used to call "home."

Have a great year, Liz!

Lorrie Macy said...

Moving on (especially from a place as magical as Guatemala) is not easy. If this truly is your last go-round, I'm sure you will find a new home and a new adventure--you always have.

For now though, cherish everything--the stressful school day, the drenching rain drops, and even the disruptively loud band practices, because before you know it, they will all be lumped into one memory of that place you used to call "home."

Have a great year, Liz!

Randi said...

Ditto what Lorrie said--I look forward to reading your book one day Lorrie! Sounds like a trip needs to be planned if this is your last year, Liz!