Donate

Friday, January 3, 2014

Because it's important to have closure...

It's been almost a year since I last blogged and 6 1/2 months since I returned to the states for good.  There is so much to say, so much to catch up on. In some ways, the last year has been too painful to recall in the sweetest way possible. My last 6 months in Guatemala were filled with late night dinners with the Crew, long weekends spent in Santa Maria, and many miles traveled with my ever loyal dog.

My journey has continued. Life has moved on.

I have not stopped living adventurously just because I moved back to 'conservative' Oklahoma.

Actually, quite the opposite has happened.

I have embarked on new adventures. The kind that have led me to conversations with incredibly influential people, navigating the mortgage and home buying process, and entering the ever-confusing world of dating in America.

Instead of escaping to Irtra, I escape to 39th Street Crossfit.

Instead of meandering through the Democracia on a Saturday morning, I find myself sifting through the overpriced 'organic' veggies at the local grocery store.

Instead of reading over lesson plans and counseling high school seniors on college choices, I get to work with an incredible group of people who are doing HUGE things for OKC and OKC Public Schools. (Check it out here).

I've traded a Monterro Sport for a Toyota Highlander, and Pica Mas for store bought hot sauce.

But I am still me. I still wake up 2 minutes before my alarm, I still only drink 3/4 of my coffee, and I speak Spanish on a daily basis.

I am the me that was shaped, formed, transformed, and made better by my experience in Guatemala. Every person I encountered changed me in some way. It doesn't matter if it was the lady who did my laundry for 3 years or the drunk man that I passed on the corner every day. My best friend or one of my students at IAS.

However, that wasn't because I was in Guatemala. It was because I made a decision to live intentionally. I wanted to be changed by my experience and my hope is that it will continue.

All of those things lead me to where I am today. Sitting in my home office in the middle of Oklahoma City on a Friday night. I have been confused, frustrated, saddened, ecstatic, angered, overjoyed, loved-on by old and new friends. I have cried. I have laughed. I have celebrated and I have hidden from the reality of what was going on around me. But more than anything, I have continued to be comforted by an overwhelming peace that I am exactly where I am suppose to be.

So, this may seem to be a little late but I'm finally ready to do it. Just like any meaningful relationship in life, you must have closure and say goodbye to the things that were impactful if it is time to move on.

And that time has come.

I love you deeply and will always care for you and your beautiful people and countryside.

Adios, Guatemala.

You were too good to me.

Thank you.


No comments: