Donate

Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Rubber Farm...


Well, I have a lot of cover and I don’t want to take too much of your time. This last weekend, I went to the rubber farm that belongs to the director of the school. It was such a neat experience. We learned all about the trees and how the latex is collected. I will put a few pictures up so that you can see what it is like. If you have any questions about it, please let me know. It is an extensive process. One of the really interesting facts is that all the rubber trees come from clones. All of the rubber trees in the world are clones for 13 trees that were decided to be the best producers in the late 1800s.

I learned a new costume of the Guatemalan culture last night. My roommate, Stefanie, and I were walking through the local park that was all hosting a carnival for Super Tuesday. All the children were walking around and running from eachother. Stefanie and I visited the local DVD guy and were browsing to see all the carnival food and activities. We passed a few children that were throwing flour at eachother and thought this must be something that the children do. It didn’t take us much longer to figure out that we were going to be targets of this flour throwing as well. Stefanie got it first and as I was thankful that I wasn’t a recipient. About 15 seconds later, a group of children came up and absolutely covered me in flour. Stef and I both broke out into hysterical laughter and this apparently called more attention to us and we became the main targets in this game for kids. We ended up running from the children and ran most of the way home, laughing the whole way!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love the idea of you being chased by flour-tossing kiddos. Only you, Liz, only you.