Donate

Thursday, January 31, 2008

One of those Days...

Well, I am about to complete my forth week down here and it amazes me that time is going so quickly. Each week is going faster and faster. This week my kids have finally settled into my schedule and I am understanding them more and more. Yesterday was, ‘one of those days’ which always makes things a little tough. Luckily, I woke up in a great mood so I was able to laugh most of it off. It all started with it being trash day…that’s right, trash juice all over my very clean pants. (I feel like I need to take a second and explain the different levels of ‘clean.’ I say these pants were very clean because I hadn’t worn them yet. They were fresh out of the laundry bag. Today, I am wearing clean pants (but not very clean) because I have already worn them once or twice. I had some ‘soft’ pants that I just washed for the first time this weekend since I have been here. I had worn them 2-3 times a week since I had been here and I hadn’t washed them yet. Granted, they were jeans but I just wanted all of you to understand how disheartening it was to spill trash juice on my very clean pants…) Okay, we are back…so, then, on my way to the bus (about a ten minute walk), I trip and stumble in front of a guy that is always out sweeping the streets (always reminds me of Brian Manhart!) The day with the kids was great. I had to stay after school and help test a child that I will be working with and his grandmother gave me a ride home from school. I sat down in the backseat and immediately felt something wet and cold on my bum. My first thought was that my water bottle had leaked all over her seat but to my amazement, when I turned to look, it was a half finished Butterfinger McFlurry! So, at this point, I start laughing and pointing to what had happened (the g-mom didn’t speak English). She handed me a towel and I sopped up as much of the milky-wetness as I could knowing that my pant were already dirty so I just sucked it up. What I forgot was that I was still going to have to walk 10 minutes to my house from where she dropped me off. So here I was, dried trash juice on my leg and a McFlurry bottom walking around the center of Xela.

Regardless of all of that stuff, it was still a good day. After I got home, I headed up to McNabb’s for dinner (I think we ate something called Pichatas or something like that. It was a Guatemalan food and it was really good. They are cooked in a big leaf like a tamale but they have a potato substances in them) and to meet the newest addition to the family down here! A beautiful Golden Retriever puppy that remains nameless at this point! Let me tell you, she is a butterball. I figure she will be a good companion to take for a run around the city when she gets a little older this spring.

So, overall, things are still going well. I have started thinking more about what I will be doing once June rolls around. I have a few new ideas but I think I’m just going to try to not think about it for awhile and just enjoy being in Xela!

Be looking for another update in a few days! I’m going to the rubber farm this weekend!

liz

Playlist:
Roscoe by Midlake
Saving Grace by The Cranberries
Breakin’ Up by Rilo Kiley
I’m Alright by Jo Dee Messina
It feels like home by (I forgot)
Who’s to Say by Pat Green

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm sorry about your pants, Liz! I completely understand how that feels. You're having such wonderful adventures. I miss you very much, but I'm really happy for you. I can't wait to hear about the rubber plantation!