Donate

Sunday, January 20, 2008

A walk in the Clouds

The first song on the playlist is quite appropriate today because of the topic that I will be telling you about! Yesterday I went to the Hot Baths. They were located up in the cloud forest. I have never been to a cloud forest before but let me tell you something, it was amazing. It was like the rain forest but much cooler and less muggy. The trip was just as exciting as our time in the Hot Baths. Stefanie and I went with the Macy’s (Lorrie, Josh, and Josh’s Dad, Papa Macy aka doug). We started out on a Chicken Bus (an old school bus that is painted in all sorts of colors and they pack people in…they also pack whatever they may be caring with them…thus the name, Chicken Bus.) We drove through a town that is known for growing the largest vegetables in Central America. I’m talking carrots that are 1 lbs.! It was absolutely beautiful to see the patchwork fields and all the workers. The people of this village believe that God shows favor to them so 90% go to church. I didn’t know get the whole story but 15-20 years ago, a missionary came and shared the Lord with them. They had lots of bars and now they are all churches. Before the missionary came, their vegetables weren’t as big as they are now! It is pretty interesting. We continued on our trip up to Zunil. This is where we caught a truck. We rode in the back of the truck up a long and curvy road. As we climbed up the mountain, we entered the cloud forest. It was one of the coolest things I have experienced. Not only did we get to see the difference in the vegetation and climate, we experienced it because we were standing in the back of this truck, exposed to the elements. Again, Mom and Dad, don’t worry...I’m not stupid, I wouldn’t do anything that was terribly dangerous! We arrived at the Hot Baths and walked along a path that was lined by calla-lilies. The Hot Baths were so relaxing and inviting. We could only stay in for a short time. Stef, Lorrie and I enjoyed just getting some hangout time as well. On our way down the mountain, we picked up 3 different groups of indigenious people caring everything from cut wood to radishes. It was truly a wonderful day!

It was nice to get away from Xela for a couple hours. I have been here for two weeks now and I have just been in the city. I have enjoyed the luxuries of McDonalds and Wendy’s but it was great to see a few villages and get in the mountains.

I have also been thinking about next year a lot over the weekend. I know that the decision to be here will be a hard one. I love it here. I don’t want to miss things at home but I don’t know if five months will be long enough to experience everything that I want to see and truly be a part of the community here. I guess we will see!
Hope all of you had a wonderful weekend! Email me (liz.cromwell@gmail.com) and let me know how things are with you! I miss you and the states!

Playlist:
Somewhere Over the Rainbow by Israel Kamakawiwo'ole
Sons and Daughters by The Decemberists
She’s My Kind of Rain by Tim McGraw
Fix You by Coldplay
Long Ago and Far Away by James Taylor
Package Song by Zach Winters
Open Your Eyes by Snow Patrol
If Tomorrow Never Comes by Garth Brooks
You’re My Home by Billy Joel
All At Once by The Fray

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your adventures with us. You're a good writer, Liz. Look forward to more stories. The picture of the clouds on top of the pool was so pretty. love, Meme

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday LizzieLloyd!!!