Donate

Tuesday, January 8, 2008

So, I made it to Xela after traveling all day! My day started at 330 this morning and it hasn’t stopped until now (11pm). I had my first bizarre Guatemalan experience on the plane today. I was sitting next to a father/son combination, they were probably 55ish and 75ish. Well, the son who was sitting in the middle seat, got up and moved to the row behind us, leaving the cute old man and myself. Before I know it, grandpa has gotten up out of the aisle seat and proceeded to sit down in the middle seat. That’s right, it’s just the two of us and he gets up and sits right next to me. Then he starts speaking in Spanish and he doesn’t get it that I don’t know Spanish. I tell him I don’t understand but he just says it a little slower…it made me laugh.

By the time we got to Guatemala City, we (Stefanie, McNabb, and I) had made a new friend who was also going to Xela to study the language for 3 months. He is from Seattle so that made Soups happy. We had to take a bus to Xela. It turned out to be a 5 hour trip on the longest, curviest, mountainest road I have ever been on. And that’s not mentioning the smoke on the raod that we had to stop for. I still don’t know if it was an intentional fire or an accident. I thought I would make the trip without getting sick because I am wearing a motion sickness patch, but alas, I ended up getting sick in the bathroom of an old charter bus, still on the curves so it was really hard to stand still. It was defiantly the most difficult place I have ever thrown up! (sorry for the details!) When we finally arrived, we took a cab to McNabbs place and got something to eat. I am very anxious to see what the next 5 months has in store! It should be quite an adventure! Love you guys! Thanks for reading!

No comments: