Donate

Wednesday, January 2, 2008

A year in miles...

As I sit in Doyline Louisiana on the last night of 2007, I realize how appropriate it is that I am here, in this place at this time. When starting a new project like the one that I am about to begin, the right place, the right song, and the right frame of mind must all be present. I do think that the easiest of these things to come about it the place considering I have no choice where I am at this very moment. The harder decision in all this was the song to accompany this writing…after much debate, I chose to put the ever trusted ipod on shuffle and see what came up: Boston by Augustana. This is convenient considering this is a song about newness and getting away from something or someone…and getting to a place where you are isolated from all those around you that truly ‘know’ you. I, on the other hand, am going somewhere totally new and different but I have entering in to a group of friends that have seen me through some of my biggest times of growth that I have ever experienced. I will introduce each of them to you at a later time. Now, more importantly, I want each of you to know what I will be doing in the process of this year. As most of you know, I will be teaching pre-kindergarten in Guatemala for the next five months. With this, I will be living with friends in the highlands of the second largest city in the country. The cities name, Xela (it’s a nickname, I will get the actual name at a later time), is surrounded by three volcanoes. I will be an hour from the beach and I will be consuming some of the worlds best coffee! I plan on keeping track of the miles that I travel and logging them daily. I will record all travel which will include on foot, plane, train, water…everything really. We’ll see how it all turns out! I will always be able to be reached by email (Liz.Cromwell@gmail.com) and I would love to hear from each of you since I won’t be able to talk to you or see any of you. Please check in with the blog occasionally as I will try to update it weekly if not more. I’m not sure of what my time will be like but again, I would love to keep in touch with you. With this blog, you will have to realize that you are going to see quite a bit of randomness of Liz Cromwell. I have strange thoughts and I will be most obliged to share them with any and all who are reading this. Please bare with me. A few requirements that I am setting for myself will be always wearing a pedometer to get an accurate reading of distance traveled, I will update at least once a week with outtakes from my personal journal, and when I write, I will put my ipod on shuffle and keep a record of what songs are playing as I write these entries (this is just for the fun of it! I don’t see any real reason behind this!) When I am traveling by other methods other than foot travel, I will simply mapquest the distance or do something equivalent. Well, happy 2008 to you all. I pray that God will bless each of you in extraordinary ways and that He will challenge you in ways that will cause growth and uncomfortableness that will make you turn to Him in a real way that makes you truly acknowledge that you have no control over your own life. He is the only one that sets forth your path! Thanks for being someone who is special enough to me to make the list of those-I-would-like-to-keep-in-touch-with! You have each touched my life in way that is unique. Please pray for me over the next five months. Thank you all.

elc


Playlist:
Boston by Augustana
Breakfast at Tiffany’s
Till Kingdom Come by Coldplay
Austin by Blake Shelton
Don’t Miss You At All by Norah Jones
Sweet Pea by Amos Lee
Under the Sea by The Little Mermaid
Hello Darlin’ by Conway Twitty
Say Hello Wave Goodbye by David Gray

No comments: