Donate

Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Closing in...

It’s official. 10 days of school left. My patience is wearing thin and I know that if I don’t take advantage of every moment here, I will regret it when I get home. So, it’s a combination that could potentially be dangerous in the sense of accomplishing those things that need to be done. I feel disconnected in a way that I am sure is due to my short stint of time here. We had a PTA dinner two nights ago at the Bonifaz (the nicest hotel in town, where they were playing Christmas music during dessert!) and it was incredible to see the reactions of the other teachers who were leaving versus my own. I feel like Guatemala has softened me in many ways but that night, I felt hard. I felt hard to the emotions that others were experiencing. I guess that’s just part of it.

The next few weeks are busy with end of the year festivities so that should keep us busy. My wonderful sister will be gracing me with her presence three weeks from today so I am more than excited about that! I think we are heading back to the lake to relax for a few days and just take it easy. We had such a wonderful time in China together, I’m sure this will be wonderful as well! I will officially be back in the states June 9!

It’s hard for me to think that this is the end of Guatemala for me. I honestly think that it isn’t the end. I know I will be back here some day to visit these kids and to experience the greatness of this country. I am excited to head back to the states for a few months and just be. My summers have been filled with camp, basketball, and horse shows since I can remember. The last memories of a free summer consisted of swimming at the country club everyday and jumping on the trampoline. I would imagine that this summer will be slightly different than the last free one but I wouldn’t mind squeezing some swimming and trampoling in there somewhere!

Enjoying the Adventure!
Liz

Playlist:
Dress Up in You by Belle and Sebastian
A Glance in My Direction by So Long Goodbyes
The Quick Escape by So Long Goodbyes
Till It Happens To You by Corinne Baily Rae
Trust Me by The Fray
Gumboots by Paul Simon
Follow Through by Gavin DeGraw
Picture to Burn by Taylor Swift
St. Apollonia by Beirut
Beauty School Drop-out by Frankie Avalon

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Liz! I can't wait to see you! I'm excited to have you back in the U.S., but will miss hearing about all of these far-away places. Love you!