Donate

Sunday, May 25, 2008

Something new in a familiar place!

Right when you think you are an expert on a town/city, you find a new aspect of something you have been missing! Let me describe my haven of the day: A café with a patio feel. Bright yellow walls with a staircase that is accented in orange. Skylight material roof that allows the rain that is falling outside to sing a beautiful droning that is way too relaxing. The most comfortable chair I have sat in since I have been in Xela upholstered with typica fabric. A great friend working on encouragement notes for her students. A delicious cup of Chocolate con leche. To sum it up, a little slice of Heaven on a Sunday afternoon in Guatemala.

Writing this post has been something I have been thinking about for the last week. How can I capture the last two weeks in Guatemala? This has been the question that has been running across my mind as I contemplate this post. I have so much that I want to share and explain but I know that it will be much better explained when I can describe each of these things face to face. My hope for the next two weeks is to view this country with the same eyes that I saw it the first two weeks I was here. I have found recently that I have been slipping into a ‘cruse control’ mentality. This is not something that I want for my final days here. I have made the decision to nip this and to open my eyes to those things that have become normal. Let’s see, what else is going on…I have come down with what can only be described as bronchitis (hopefully). I have been trying to fight it off with my own strength (yeah right) and finally caved in to buying some medicine. Hopefully I will be able to get rid of it in the next few days. Wednesday is our last day of classes followed by Graduation on Friday. The majority of the teachers leave on Sunday so I will have a few days on my own until Emily (my wonderful sister) arrives on Thursday. I am still trying to figure out what I will do with that time. I will either stay in Xela a few extra days, go to the Lake, or head to Antigua. Whatever I end up doing, I know one thing is for sure, I will be doing a lot of processing and looking ahead to see what the future may hold.

Now some things that have happened recently!

Last weekend we had a cookout at our directors house with a White Trash theme. I went as a pregnant lady…I will attach some pictures! We had a wonderful time ‘tailgating’, listening to country music, and eating some goodies off the grill!

Today was the beginning of the Guatemalan Rugby Association’s playoffs (that sounds much more official than it actually is). My friend Josh Macy helped start this organization and the Xela team advanced to the finals today by beating a team from Guatemala City 40-3! It was a wonderful game and they have improved tremendously since I have been here this semester.

I know there is much more I could talk about but my words are running scarce and I have a little work I need to do! I will be home in two weeks so be looking for updates as I decide what may lie ahead as well as the readjusting process to the states!

Finishing STRONG!

Liz

Playlist:
Come Monday by Jimmy Buffett
What I Need To Do by Kenny Chesney
Will I see You With My Hair Down by Zach Winters
Vertigo by U2
King of the Road by Roger Miller
Such Great Heights by Postal Service

No comments: