Donate

Sunday, January 4, 2009

Happy New Year!

Many people have commented on how I stop blogging once I return to the states. This is not intentional. Several have asked if it is because I don't have anything to write about, well, the quite opposite is true. I have plenty to write about. I just didn't think that people would be interested in my day to day antics. Needless to say, sometimes they are more entertaining than my international adventures due to the fact that I have nothing to blame my embarrassment on (ie. language, culture, ect.). And, it's a little harder making fun of your own culture, you never know whose relative may live in the over-decorated-with-Christmas-lights-house in North Enid.
(If this is a relative of anyone who is reading this, please let them know that I go look at this house every Christmas and in no way am I making fun, it's just not anything I would ever do.)

Or what about the time I was working for dad in the Oklahoma panhandle and I ended up in Beaver (yes, that's the name of the town), Oklahoma. I had a few memories of this place because there was once a horse show here when I was young. I had a memory of a large Beaver in the middle of the town but I forgot what it signified:
(If you can't read the plaque, it says, "World Cowchip Throwing Championship." Man, I'm proud to be from Oklahoma! Ha! On this same trip, I almost hit a llama. Yes, a llama. I don't know what it was doing prancing around the panhandle but it was there.)

On a more 'updating' note, things have been really great since I've been back. I have seen a ton of friends and family. I spent Christmas in Louisiana and New Years in Enid. I guess to be more exact, I spent New Years in my bed. I am definitaly getting old. I went to bed at 11pm and my father and stepmother woke me up at 12:30am when they got home. It was truly role reversal but I was glad they had a good time and I was happy that I had already been asleep for an hour and a half! I woke up early New Years Day and headed to the city to spend some time with friends and ended up staying with them. I got home on the 2nd and was hit with something fierce. I was on the couch for the next 48 hours (today is the first day I've been out of the house for an extented amount of time). I have now had the same stomach bug twice within 6 weeks. Not fun. Anyway, I'm feeling much better and I am currently sitting at a coffee shop (another reason why I think I haven't blogged lately, I like to do so at a coffee shop when I'm in Central America because it makes me feel more at home but when I'm in Oklahoma, I feel at home when I'm at my home so I don't end up writing...anyway, sidenote). I had great intentions of studying for the GRE today but something is wrong with the website where I need to take the diagnostic test so I guess I'll try again tomorrow. I'm heading to the Y!

Livin' the Life (I figured since I'm in the US, I should say it in English now),

Liz

Playlist:
Rainy Day Lament by Joe Purdy
Allentown by Billy Joel
Don't Cross the River by Garth Brooks
The Crane Wife 3 by The Decemberists
Growing Older but Not Up by Jimmy Buffett
Sand in My Shoes by Dido
Poor Man's House by Patty Griffin
Beg by Shane and Shane
All I Want Is You by Barry Louis Polisar

No comments: