Donate

Sunday, October 26, 2008

Inspiration in the Capital

I left Oklahoma on Thursday. As this (obviously) is saddening, I have had a wonderful time in DC. The first morning I was here, we went to the Library of Congress and took a private tour. I wasn't too excited about getting up early the first morning of my vacation (especially after a long day traveling the day before) but I was pleasantly surprised at what awaited me in this national treasure! I learned that this library has two copies of every book that has been published in the USA. Yes, that's right, two of each! That's a lot of book! Anyway, as I was listening to our french tour guide, I got a little distracted and my mind started wandering (as it often does) and I came to the conclusion that all the knowledge in the USA is contained within these walls (twice over)! I was very impressed by this and I can't wait until I can go back and get my library card and go study in the most magnificent readying room I have ever seen (http://www.nikonians.org/html/resources/reference_library/pix/library_of_congress_reading.jpg). I hope that you all get the chance to see this beautiful place sometime and will take the time to soak in all the details that have gone into it!


I have been to DC quite a bit in the last few years considering Emily and Charlie have been up here. I have seen the Smithsonian's and lounged on the national mall but there is something that we did today that I have never done. One of Emily's friends was running in the Marine Corps Marathon and since it was such a nice day, we thought we would go check out the run and cheer her on. We got there early and little did I know the impact that these runners would have on me. There were booths set up and the community had really come out to support these runners but all I could see were these people that were giving it their all. Each one of them had put so much time and energy into training and there was a reason and story behind each runner. People ran by with loved ones pictures, veterans carried flags and had names of their buddies on their shirts that hadn't made it home, couples ran by hand in hand, best friends encouraged each other, and one guy even came by on a skate board. He wasn't standing on the skate board, mind you, because he didn't have any legs. This man was sitting on the skate board and propelling himself forward by pushing off the cement with his hands...for 26.2 miles! These things brought tears to my eyes. We stayed and cheered for the runners for 2 hours and my family had to practically drag me away. I was totally tranfixed with the idea of helping and cheering for all these people who were totally vunerable to all of us in their blood, sweat and tears. The least I could do was yell for them and ring my handy cow bell!

We complain about being tired and busy but we have been given so much more than what we use. So, with this, I encourage you to do something today that you wouldn't normally do.

I have two more days in the US before I head out for Guatemala on Wednesday. I am looking forward to spending these days in DC exploring the city a little more but I am ready to get back down there. I have already been thinking about all the things that I have forgotten that I miss (ex. adventures on chicken buses, Perrito and all the other streets dogs, and my favorite street vendor, Pollo Tobi!) I will keep you up to date and you may even get one more blog before I leave the states! Keep in touch!

Viva La Vida,

Liz













(This was a squirrel we saw eating a pumpkin. I have never seen this before and I hope that this little guy doesn't share this knowledge with his squirrely friends...needless to say, I thought it was pretty funny and I hope you guys enjoy it as well!)

Storypeople.com story:

"We lay there & looked up at the night sky & she told me about stars called blue squares & red swirls & I told her I'd never heard of them. Of course not, she said, the really important stuff they never tell you. You have to imagine it on your own."

Playlist:

The Tree Song by Bebo Norman
Me and Mrs. Jones by Michael Buble
Your Smiling Face by James Taylor
Pearls on a String by Ryan Adams
First Day of My Life by Bright Eyes
Sideways by Citizen Cope
God Put A Smile Upon Your Face by Coldplay

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Liz...I am there w/ you on cheering for those runners!! I get to cheer Jason on when he runs. So far, three marathons completed and I got to see him finish all three!! I have gotten hoarse from cheering, had cramps in my arms (sad, but true) from clapping at the finish lines, and have been ticked at those too busy chatting about inconsequentials to cheer the runners in and over the finish line. The most amazing feat I saw (at the 2mi, 10 mi, and finish line of Chicago 2008) was a man who juggled the WHOLE WAY! First, I cannot imagine juggling for three or four hours...couldn't even do it three or four minutes. Couldn't run straight for 2 or 6 miles, let alone 26.2! Then to do both simultaneously?!? YEE-GADS! You need to come w/ me and cheer for a runner you know next time you are "state-side." :)

Bummed things got busy before you left OK, but SO SO glad I got to visit with you when I did!

XOXO,
Cathy