Donate

Friday, October 31, 2008

"Welcome Back," Guatemala said!

Back in my favorite cafe, writing this blog! I wish you all could experience this incredible place with me!

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."


Well, I'm here. It was a long hard trip but I finally made it in Wednesday night. I will try to describe my trip but I don't think I could ever do it justice. There is one thing that is for sure, Guatemala greeted me in fashion!

I started out in DC Wednesday morning at the airport at 5:45am. I had my backpack packed and I was ready to start this adventure. I checked in and headed to my gate. My first flight was wonderful. I slept most of the way and woke up in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. I had about an hour before my flight left for Guatemala City so I made a few last minute phone calls to say 'see ya later' and headed to my gate. I was immediately reminded of Guatemala because instead of forming a nice line and being orderly, everyone was standing very close to each other in a big herd. We were boarding by zones and I was in Zone One. I was quick to remember that I needed to push my way through the herd, otherwise, I wouldn't get through. So, as I pushed my way to the front with many 'perdons' and 'lo seintos', my heart was awakened once more to these beautiful people (it helps that I could see all of them since I'm a head taller than most of them!) I found my seat and conveniently stored my carry on in the compartment above me and settled in for the 2 1/2 hour flight. As we were pushing away from the gate, my stomach suddenly growled. I had forgotten to eat. In most situations, this would be fine. I could pick something up at the airport, on the plane, or on the way to my next destination. Well, the Guatemala airport doesn't have the best food selection. The airlines charge for all drinks and food (at least Spirit Air does) and since I'm being thrifty, I'm not going to spend 3 dollars on a bag of chips. And I had to get to the bus station as quickly as possible when I had passed immigration and customs. So, I was out of luck. I was sitting next to a pair of sisters and they were heading down for a mission trip and had lots of breakfast bars and they gave me one (thank God!). I eagerly ate it and fell asleep.

As we approached Guate, I could see 3 volcanoes and the mountain range was so green. I could tell that the rainy season was good to Central America. We landed at 11:35am and I jumped up out of my seat and walked briskly to immigration. I was happy to see that I was one of the first ones there and didn't have to wait. Everything was looking great for me to make the 12:30 bus to Xela. I would arrive around 5 and I could see everyone, have dinner, and play a game of cards. Well, that was the plan, and as most of you know that have been following my journey over the last year, my plans don't always work.

I didn't get my back until 12:15 and I still needed to get cash. I decided to give up on the early bus and just take a 2:30 bus. My friends were expecting me but I figured I would arrive in Guatemalan fashion and be a few hours late.

Well, the bus did leave at 2:30 but it wasn't totally full so the driver proceeded to drive around the City until the bus was full. My head was started to hurt due to not having my daily diet coke (yes, I've become one of those, dang it!) so I figured the best way to fight it off was to try to sleep. We finally filled the bus and headed out on the Guatemalan portion of the Pan-American highway. We were cruising along nicely (and by nicely I mean, we were taking corners at a speed that I wouldn't travel in my Honda Accord, and we were in a big charter bus!) and making good time. I was feeling okay by this time (thanks to the motion sickness patch that is ever so faithful!) and I could see the improvements that had been made on the highway. We passed beautiful fields that were growing huge vegetables in very straight rows. We passed land slides that had been cleaned up and we continued to pick people up and drop them off along this mountainous road. At five o'clock, we had made it far enough on the road that the pavement had run out and we were now on a dirt road. The traffic in front of us was stopped. I was okay with this for the first 20-30 minutes. You can always expect this to happen because of the construction. But when this turned into an hour, I was starting to get restless. We had traveled 1/2 mile in an hour. I was tempted to get my backpack, and start walking. I was starting to feel sick but was trying to fight it off due to the lack of bathroom on this bus. We continued this way for a total of 2 1/2 hours. The only way I can describe it is like this, A dirt road+burning rubber+violent brakes+Charter buses acting like off road vehicles+crazy driving+an ambulance or two+chicken buses cutting people off+Liz getting carsick=trip from hell.

I finally arrived in Xela at 9:30pm. I was close enough to walk to Michael's house (where I was suppose to meet everyone at 5) so I headed there to check in. I'm sure I had a nice greenish tint to my face when I got there but I was still fighting off getting sick (you know, to avoid the whole, hey, it's great to see you, can I go puke in your bathroom?) I ended up heading down to the girls' apartment and ran into a friend on the way down the hill (again, afraid that I was going to get sick in front of him, on the street, like all the drunks often do) and quickly headed on my way. I got to the girls house and was introduced to all the new girls and quickly headed to bed. I changed clothes, arranged my stuff, and brushed my teeth. I couldn't hold out any longer. I finally got sick and immediately felt so much better. I figured it was the perfect way to end this 'perfect' day. This is the same way that I arrived in Xela last January so I felt it was appropriate and even though I felt horrible, it was somewhat familiar.

I went up to the school yesterday and saw the rest of the staff and my incredible kiddos! They have all grown so much and their English has improved tremendously. I couldn't believe it! When I first saw them in the morning, they were really shy and just stared at me, but as the day went on, they got used to the idea that I was back.

We went to dinner last night with my close friends (The Macy's, The Schyder's, Randi, and Tank) and it was great to catch up with everyone. Everyone but Tank was here last year ( I know him from camp) so it was fun hearing stories and looking back at last spring. After dinner, Tank and I walked around for a little bit in search of an open ATM and an open grocery store. It's amazing what you take for granted in the states. He walked me back to the house and I headed to bed. I decided not to get up and go to the school today. I wanted to fill everyone in on what was going on so far and I need to enroll in Spanish school. I have found a lady to live with for the next two weeks. Her daughter is getting married this weekend and she doesn't want to be lonely so I will have the whole upstairs to myself and I will be in the Democracia (the vegetable market). The house is only a 2 minute walk to McNabb's and The Macy's so I will be close to everyone!

I hope everyone has a wonderful Halloween. There is a big gathering tonight so I'm sure I will have updates about that in a few days! Keep in touch!

Viva La Vida!

Liz

Playlist:
Friends in Low Places by Garth Brooks
Crazy by Pat Green
Forgiven by Alanis Morissette
Piano Man by Elton John
All You Need Is Love by Lynden David Hall
Kiss Kiss by Chris Brown
Suffer By Among The Ashes
Stollen Car by Patty Griffin
Fireworks by Neighborhood
Summer Lovin' by Grease cast
Every Day by Rascal Flat
Yeah! by Usher
He Said She Said by Joe Purdy
High and Dry by Radiohead

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

so, I'm excited to come down to visit, but I'm not going to let my mom see this post. lol - Cory