Donate

Monday, November 3, 2008

Halloween Weekend

I have been back in Guatemala for five days now and it feels like I never left. There are new people and a few new places, but for the most part, things are the same as when I left them. There are some changes in how I am approaching this time. I am not teaching so that allows me to go to Spanish school. I am living with a lady and her daughter (who is getting married this week). And, I’m avoiding American food and sugar because I would rather not gain 20 pounds again this time around!

We celebrated Halloween in style Friday night. Halloween isn’t actually a big deal down here. The big thing is Day of the Dead. Randi (one of girls who is still down here from last year) and I went to Todos Santos with the boys Saturday. It was a four hour drive on a long, mountainous, bumpy road. The thing about Todos Santos is that they have horse races on Nov. 1 (Day of the Dead) every year. These aren’t normal horse races because first of all, there is no track. And secondly, the jockey is extremely drunk. So, with those two factors, you can only imagine how entertaining it is! Three of the guys I was with (Pedro, Coco, and Josh) decided that they wanted to ride the horses so they went and talked to the owners and low and behold if not all three of them got to ride. It was very comical! After awhile, Randi and I decided that we were going to go for a walk and as we approached the hill that we parked on, we saw a group of men around Pedro’s car. It took a second to realize that they were moving his car. I didn’t see a tow truck so I couldn’t figure out how they were doing it. That is when I noticed that none of the wheels were on the ground. These men (about 20 of them) were CARRYING his car!!! Needless to say, we called Pedro and he ran right over. The mayor was there and was trying to convince the police to give him a ticket but somehow, we lucked out and we came across the only honest cops in Guatemala. They didn't want to give Pedro a ticket because if they gave him a ticket, they would have to give everyone a ticket! We were very relieved! We ended up leaving shortly after that because we didn’t want the townspeople (who were still upset that we didn't get a ticket) to do anything to his car. It was quite a day!

Sunday was a pretty laid back day. I got a new phone and hung out with friends. I moved into my host family’s house. My room is an average size with a bed, desk, and shelves. It is in a great location so I’m really happy about that. My host mom’s name is Letty and she calls me Betty (it’s the Guatemalan nickname for Elizabeth). I am anxious to see how this turns out! Until then!

Today was my first day of Spanish school and it went well. My teacher is a guy about my age and he likes to laugh at all the things that I mix up...like, To slap vs. To Pay....What's up vs. What World...I already have homework so I should probably get going on that! I will keep you all updated! Below are some pictures from Halloween and this weekend!

Viva La Vida!

The girls on Halloween (Randi, Me, Danielle, and Lorrie)

Randi and IThe races at Todos Santos

Pedro's car being carried! It's not very clear but it's there, I promise!



Playlist:
Because you Loved Me by Celine Dion
Ironic by Alanis Morissette
Summer Love by Justin Timberlake
L.E.S. Artistes by Santogold
I’m Your Man by Michael Buble

No comments: