Donate

Thursday, November 6, 2008

Mid-week update

Four days of Spanish school behind me and one more for this week! My spanish is coming along better than I thought at this point but I did get a little frustrated today because I wasn't following my teacher very well. Oh well, such is life!

I have been spending my mornings (8-1) in school followed by lunch at 2 and then heading to a one of Xela's many charming coffee shops for the afternoon to do homework. I will be in Spanish school again next week and then I will take a two week break while my friend Carrie is here.

Since I haven't given many details about living with a family, I figured I would take a little time and do that! First of all, it's only Spanish, a tiempo! Right now, it's Letty (the house mom), her daughter (Jackie) who is getting married tomorrow, and another boarder (I can't remember her name!). They are all wonderful and help me with my Spanish. I feel bad that they have to speak so slowly and they often find me day dreaming because my brain hurts from concentrating so hard on the conversation. I have been surprised that I haven't eaten any black refried beans yet! I have had many servings of mystery meat (a substance that is similar to bologna) and a lot of tortillas! We have coffee and tea at every meal and it's normal for me to eat a sandwich for breakfast. Also, this is the first time in my life that I have been told that I eat like a bird. It's not like I don't like the food I'm being served (I really do, it taste good) I'm just not getting huge servings. When I told her I don't eat huge servings, she replied with, "But you are very big, you need to eat more." Ah, the honesty that comes along with Guatemalans!

My room is small and dark but it's somewhat charming. I live on the third floor and the bathroom up there doesn't always work. I have to take a shower early in the morning (burrrrr) and I have to pour a bucket of water in the toilet for it to flush. Like I said, quite charming!

On another note, I realized that I didn't bring any DVD's with me so I headed to the Democracia. I went to the same DVD stand that I went to so many times last spring and asked for Blackjack 21. After looking for a little while, we found it and I responded with the normal, "diez, verdad?" He looked at me and said, "No, quince." At this point, I again told him my offer and he refused it once again. It's not like I can't spend the extra 5 Q (about 70 cents), it's about principle at this point. I put the DVD down and walked away. He practically ran me down and sold me the DVD for 10 Q. Victory! Yes! This is just a small example of a culture where everything is negotiable. And I love it! There are so many unspoken variables in this culture, it's just finding the ones that you can cash in on.

Well, I know this was short but I just wanted to check in. I will try to include some pictures in the next post of my room and host family. I am attending the wedding tomorrow so that will be fun to go to a Guatemalan wedding. It's at a Chinese restuarant! You know there will be some good stories after that!

Viva la Vida!

Liz

Playlist:
Let Him Fly by Patty Griffin
Waiting for the Sun to Shine by Lee Ann Womack
You Don't Look the Same When You Are Leaving by Stephen Kellogg
Wedding Dress by Derek Webb

No comments: