Donate

Saturday, November 8, 2008

La Boda en Guatemala!

Last night I experienced something that I never have before (and I'm not sure I want to again); a wedding that last 5 1/2 hours! It was the wedding of Jackie, the daughter of the lady I live with. I was honored that I was invited and felt that it was important that I go. And, seeing a wedding in another culture is always fun! I'll try to fill you in on the highlights!

The wedding was slated to start at 4:00. I left the house at 3:40 to walk to Woon Kook (yes, that is correct, the wedding was in a Chinese restaurant). When I left, the bride was still at the house was getting ready. I headed to the local textile store to pick up a present and then headed to my destination. Usually, I like to get to weddings at least 10-15 minutes early but I figured that I could get there at 4 and be okay considering Latin time...so, I arrived at 4 and was surprised to see that I was one of seven people there (the other six were the family of the groom!) Luckily, I knew one of the ladies there (we worked together at the school last spring). I found a seat and prepared myself for the akward Spanish conversations that I knew would take place due to my novice experience with the language (conversationally). The bride and her mother finally arrive at 4:15. By this time, I was starting to wonder if anyone would notice if I slipped out and left. I was starting to feel really uncomfortable and this whole process of waiting for the wedding to begin was wearing on me. Everything got underway at 4:45 and I was a little confused by what was going on. The bride was in a red dress and from what I could tell, there was nothing about God being mentioned (this family is very religious). After about 20-30 minutes, everyone clapped and people started lining up to sign a piece of paper that was on the table that the bride and groom were sitting at. I figured this was the marriage lisense and the 'witnesses' were signing it as well. I didn't realize that half the guest felt like they needed to sign it as well. I was happy to see that the sun was still up and I would be able to meet up with my friends for the normal Friday night routine. After everyone sat down, the guy who was MCing the whole process said that we would have a 20 minutes 'cafeito' break and then continue. What? Continue? There's more? I looked at Vero (the lady from school) and she just smiled. She walked over after the couple left and told me that there were two parts to Guatemalan weddings. We had just had the civil wedding and now it was time for the religous wedding. Okay, this is my time to split, I thought. I looked for my getaway path and low and behold, the director of my spanish school walks in. He walks right up to me and starts talking to me. Crap! I'm caught. Needless to say, I stayed for the second part of the wedding (where the room transformed from lots of red to lots of white, including the dress the bride was wearing) as well and tried my best to enjoy it. I understood part of what was being said but didn't get it all. We finished with the ceremony parts at 6:45ish and it was already dark. I was going to have to stay until the end because I didn't want to walk by myself in that part of town. Over the next 3 hours, I stumbled through numerous conversations, ate Chinese food, particiapated in the bouquet toss (which was actually tossed 4 times...don't ask me why, I couldn't figure it out!), and took a few pictures that I will include at the end of this entry! It was a night that I will never forget!

By the time I got home, I was ready to collapse into bed. As I was getting ready to turn in for the night, I received a message from McNabb saying that they were going to have a Hookah night. I gladly accepted the invitation, packed a small bag, and headed over. I finished off a long day of Spanish hanging out with great friends and getting the best night sleep I had in a long time (McNabb's roommate was out of town so I just stayed there so I wouldn't have to walk home).

Today I went to Minerva Market with Lorrie and Randi. They discovered earlier this year that they have super cheap clothes at the Pacas (Thrift stores) out there. I found four things that I couldn't pass up! And to think that they were only 1 Q (about $0.13) each!

There is a dance recital that I am attending this evening. It will be similar to the one that I went to last spring with lots of Flamico dancing and big dresses! After that, I'm planning on meeting up with two girls that I have met in my school who are from Belgium. It should be interesting!

Viva la Vida!

Liz


Letty and my housemate!
Letty's feet were hurting and I am never without my Chaco's so I let her borrow them!
The Bride and Groom with friends
My housemate and Jackie, the bride


Playlist:
Love Will Tear Us Apart by Joy Division
Dreadful Selfish Crime by Robert Earl Keen
Love You Out Loud by Rascal Flats
Over My Head by The Fray (thinking of you Shenoldy!)
Mansturd Roof by Vampire Weekend
This is How We Do by The Game
The Little Things by Colbie Caillat
Always on His Mind by Misty Edwards
They Outside by Taylor Swift
I think We're Alone Now by Tiffany

No comments: