Donate

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

preparation

I would like to start by apologizing because after my last post, I realized that I had forgotten about my playlist so without saying anything else, the playlist has returned and I am currently listening to 'All My Ex's Live In Texas'...the full list will be at the bottom of the post.

Well, the preparation has started. I am starting to get 'my affairs in order' as some would say. I wouldn't put it that way because I think it sounds like I'm cheating on my husband (which I don't have) or being promiscuous or something (which I'm not being). But anyway, that's what I have been doing recently. I am starting to make the rounds to see my good friends for another round of 'see ya laters' and checking the travel websites one more time for travel advisories (yes, I am one of those that plays it safe). I have also been doing a little research as to what Spanish school I will attend. I have decided that I will stay in Xela for Spanish school due to rule of elimination. My choices were Xela, Antigua, San Pedro (Lago de Atitlan), or a small village. Antigua is the center of all that is tourist so I figured that wouldn't be good for the cultural experience. San Pedro is beautiful but supposedly, it is at one of those energy spots on earth so there are all sorts of new age things that go on. Emily (my sister) found this picture online and warned me that if I go to San Pedro, I may come home with a boyfriend that looks like this http://blogs.knoxnews.com/knx/brown/archives/JoeyIsrael.gif. You must understand, I have nothing against dreadlocks or bearded men but I would rather experience Guatemala for what it is worth. I can get all the dreads and beards in the USA. And for the village, I think it would be a great oppurtunity to have total and complete immersion but the thought of potentially being the only gringa around makes me a little nervous. Thus, I decided on staying in Xela. I am really happy about this. I will be able to see my friends that are down there a little more even though I am going to try to branch out some as well. I feel like Xela is the perfect combination of all the things I am looking for. I looked at a few schools today (http://www.xelapages.com/juansisay/ and http://www.sakribal.com/). The first one has a volunteer oppurtunity that looks especially inviting. If I bring some medical supplies as a donation, I will be able to stand in on a surgical procedure. Pretty cool, right? Needless to say, I'm pretty pumped about it. After reading that, however, it made me realize even more how much I DON'T want to have surgery in Guatemala so if you all could do me a favor and send up a prayer for my health while I am there, I would greatly appreciate it!

I would love to hear about what is going on with all of you so please don't hesitate to send an email (liz.cromwell@gmail.com) with an update of you and your family!

Vive La Vida!

Liz

P.S. I have a new favorite wedsite. It is www.storypeople.com. I am going to include a snipit from this website from now on when I think about it! Here's the first one:

"Leaning out as far as she can, hoping she'll fall soon, so she can stop worrying about whether it will happen or not."


Playlist:
All my ex's Live in Texas by George Straight
Jump (for my love) by The Pointer Sisters
Uptown Girl by Billy Joel
Something More by Jenny Owens
Redneck Woman by Gretchen Wilson
Train Under Water by Bright Eyes
Shake your Bon Bon by Ricky Martin
Fake Plastic Trees by Radiohead

No comments: