Donate

Saturday, July 25, 2009

The first few days back....

I have been in Xela for only one full day and I feel like I never left. This place has that effect on you. It continues to amaze me how easy it has become to go from one culture to another. I feel like I have two totally different lives that only exist when I’m present in the local place. My life in the US has quickly become a fond memory that I think about it passing, much like a dream that I had last night, trying to recall details of people and places. And in the same way, it’s like my life here just had a six week void that was quickly filled in with conversations of school, Spanish blunders, and coffee. I wouldn’t trade it for the world!

The experience that I am gaining and the opportunities that I am able to take advantage of are priceless. There is no way I could gain the life experience that I am in any other setting. To be able to live in a place filled with such loving people and caring friends and to know that I have the support of those back ‘home’ in the states. It is truly a blessing that I hope I will never overlook. Of course there are sacrifices of being here. I am not able to communicate with those closest to me as often as I would like but it allows me to really value that time when I get it. I don’t have a car down here so it takes longer to get places, but I get to be outside and see the local people, the local dogs (which I have a few favorites!), and the local eateries! And it helps with the waistline that could easily increase with all the delicious coffees and sweets! You never know when the power is going to go out but on the flip side, it adds a little adventure every time I decide to straighten my hair because I could be left mid-blowdry and look like Bozo the clown for the next 5 hours! It’s a good thing I have a plethora of baseball hats down here!

When it comes down to it, I have many ‘homes’ in this world. It can get quite confusing when I leave home to return home but I wouldn’t do it any other way!

I hope this finds everyone doing well. I am going to try to keep up with this a little better so be ready for more quirky happenings and random thoughts!

Viva la Vida!

Liz

1 comment:

Tony and Danielle said...

Liz, Your blog made miss Xela. We have been missing it for some reason, even though life here is good. We think of all of you at IAS often. Say hi to everyone and blessings!